Last Updated on August 2, 2022
Choosing a powerful winch with a pulling capacity of 10,000 lbs. can be quite toilsome. Naturally, the power of the internal parts should be considered. But you should also look into the construction and accessories.
In this article, extensive details and a simplified assessment of some premium winches are given to make the selection easier for you.
If you’re in hurry, then check our quick recommendation on the best 10000 lb winch below.
Best 10000 lb Winch Review
Below, we’ve provided an in-depth analysis of our recommended picks for you. Read on to know more about them.
Warn 89611 ZEON 10 Winch
- Both the synthetic rope and steel rope offer flexibility. Besides, both the fairleads are made of strong material.
- This winch is completely waterproof with a rating of IP68.
- Its speed for both no-load and full load is commendable.
- The contactor type is a control pack that can be used for external mounting. Or, you can directly connect it with the winch too.
- Consists of an aluminum-made drum that is large but does not weigh much. This drum helps to minimize the erosion of the ropes.
- The clutch and latches are made of stainless steel, increasing the durability of these parts.
- It is relatively simple to control and operate the clutch lever.
- Offers a long-lasting performance with a solid warranty.
- Has a great design and firm build that is reliable.
- Operation is not conducted by a wireless remote.
- It is a bit difficult to install.
Of the two 10K/10K-S winches from WARN we have mentioned in this review, this Warn Zeon winch is definitely one of the best 10000 lb winches out there.
Both the ropes in the winch, synthetic, and steel – are flexible. However, naturally, the flexibility of the synthetic rope is higher in comparison. Apart from flexibility, the synthetic winch rope also provides higher resistance from water and better control of weight.
Even the fairleads of the two ropes are different. The synthetic rope has an aluminum hawse fairlead, and for the steel rope, it is a steel roller fairlead. A valuable asset of this winch is its stainless steel-made latches and clutch. The exterior of these parts is also plated with protective powder to prevent wearing off.
But what really puts this winch on the same pedestal as the Zeon Platinum is its motor. The motor in this winch is equally capable of pulling vehicles with considerable weight. Along with this, the advanced gear train ensures dependable performance from the winch.
Video: How to install a Warn Zeon winch
Smittybilt X2O COMP
- The winch is compact yet strongly built. According to our research, it is highly durable.
- Simple to use. It has an easy process of installation guided by extensive instructions.
- Can be operated using both wireless and wired remote control.
- Equipped with a motor of high power (6.6 horse-power) that functions in a substantially quiet way.
- It is rated IP68 in waterproof rating; this means that it gets complete protection from water.
- Both its electrical and mechanical warranty is impressive.
- Comes with an inductive braking system that prevents heat from building up.
- Both the steel and synthetic cables have a decent length and are powerful enough to be used on heavy vehicles like trucks.
- Calculated on the basis of each cable layer, this winch has an extremely high pulling ability.
- It is perfectly priced for its qualities, a great value for money.
- The wireless range of the remote operator is substandard.
- Although the winch itself is affordable, its additional accessories are quite expensive.
Users have often listed this as their all-time favorite winch – and for all the right reasons! It comes with many unique features at a very lucrative price.
This Smittybilt winch comes with two advanced rope types – synthetic and steel. Both the ropes are capable of pulling vehicles of heavy masses. On many occasions, these winches have been used to pull trucks. Besides, the winch also has a great lining speed.
Furthermore, it also has an extremely powerful battery as well as gears; this means that not only can this winch provide effective output, but it is also capable of performing smoothly. For increased strength, its tie rods and struts are made wide.
There are several options available in the winch control box that enables you to mount it in different ways. Moreover, the plug of the remote is also protected with an outer covering. You might need to grease up some of the parts to make them work better, but it’s worth the hassle.
WARN 103253 VR EVO 10-S Electric 12V DC Winch
- It is operated by a two-in-one remote, which has both wired and wireless options.
- Features a powerful planetary gear system that assists the motor in maintaining speed and drawing of voltage.
- Both the steel winch cable and the synthetic winch rope are capable of pulling heavyweight vehicles like jeeps, trucks, etc.
- High-performance motor delivers in faster line speed.
- The presence of an efficient winch contactor ensures the dependability of the device.
- You can easily change the location of control packs for installation purposes. However, this cannot be done for permanent re-installations.
- Completely waterproof winch with an IP68 rating.
- All the parts are manufactured and assessed in the USA. Both mechanical and electrical parts come with a good warranty.
- Installation is simple, and the process is easy to follow.
- Offers a good value for the price.
- The synthetic winch cables are prone to corrosion after a while.
Our second recommendation from WARN does not disappoint in terms of quality. Like the other two picks from the brand, the 103253 VR EVO comes with fundamental features.
Since there are both wired and wireless control options in the same remote controller, you can operate it from any distance.
Sometimes, the wireless range for these controllers can get poor. In that case, you can switch to the wired option at any time. Having two rope versions (synthetic and steel) is also convenient as their uses are versatile.
To ensure that the winch has a decent lining speed and draws less voltage overall, both the winch motor and the gear system work together. Like other winches from the brand, this one also has an IP68 waterproof rating, which prevents the tool from water contact entirely.
With an easy installation process and options for limited reinstallations, overall, this winch is reliable and definitely worth giving a try! We selected this winch as the top pick on our jeep winch list!
WARN 92815 Zeon Platinum
- Installation is relatively simple and consumes minimum time.
- Operated by a wireless remote that is modern, well-equipped, and efficient.
- It has an impressive pulling capacity that has been tested on many heavy vehicle models.
- Consists of a high waterproof rating (IP68) and can prevent the accumulation of dirt and moisture.
- It has a dependable and well-built motor that produces a negligible amount of noise.
- The lengths of both the synthetic winch rope (100 feet) and the steel cable (80 feet) are well-sized.
- Bears one of the fastest line speeds in the market in both full-load and no-load line speed.
- You can operate the clutch level using the remote, which makes the power engagement between the engine and the back wheels easier.
- Comes with an enormous winch drum that helps to increase the durability of the winch line.
- The longevity of the device is claimed to be at least twice compared to past models.
- The price is more in the expensive range.
Both the steel & synthetic rope versions of this WARN zeon platinum winch have surpassed their previous models in terms of build, design, and functions. The steel one is 20 feet shorter than the synthetic one and consists of a guide roller (fairlead) instead of an aluminum hawse.
This device is operated by a wireless remote that can read temperature sensors from the motor and can also read the signals from a maximum of two attached accessories. As for accessories, a USB cable and a charging adapter (for the vehicle) are provided.
Its break is automated, and there are sensors available to detect the battery voltage as well. Another plus point of this winch is that all its parts are made in the USA.
Other than its refined style, this winch also offers good value for money. It might seem a bit expensive at first glance. But if you consider all the benefits it is providing, the price will seem justified.
Champion 10,000-lb. Truck/SUV Winch Kit
- Has a long-lasting and robust construction.
- It is one of the cheapest 10,000-lb winch options available in the market.
- Two of its most useful parts are its efficient winch rope and user-oriented speed mount.
- It is equipped with a stainless-steel rope and steel roller as fairlead.
- Comes with a highly powerful motor having a limit of 3.6 horse-power (12 volts).
- With the long (85 feet) and functional aircraft cable of the fairlead, the safe landing of the pulled vehicles is ensured.
- The steel roller fairlead consists of a snatch block that helps to pull from an angle and enhance the power of the device.
- Comes with a wired winch remote control that is easy to connect
- Not only does this winch come with a good warranty, but it also provides free, lifelong technical aid from professionals.
- The construction of this winch is so simple and compact that it is quite easy to manage and operate.
- The line speed is quite poor.
- It is not water-resistant.
We will end our review with the champion winch kit.
As the most affordable option of the lot, this Champion winch kit surely piques the interests of enthusiasts. Although the winch size is small, it is quite powerful and designed to pull trucks and SUVs.
This kit only comes with a steel rope, but the brand has ensured that the quality of the rope is top-notch. Furthermore, some additional accessories have unique functions. For example, the snatch block helps to pull from an angle. Such a part is quite rare in winches.
Since it is such an inexpensive winch, it comes with some demerits. Poor line speed, non-wireless remote type, non-waterproof status, etc., are some of the known demerits. Besides, its control pack with solenoids is prone to facing issues as well. However, the experts from Champion can readily assist you with them.
If price is your biggest concern, this winch can be your choice. However, if you require a winch with a higher pulling capacity than 10,000 lbs, we suggest saving up and getting one of the other options.
After a long, comprehensive research session, we have finally been able to select the best 10k winch. It is none other than the WARN Zeon winch!
The perfect balance of high-performance features, all-around services, and convenience of use has made us select this winch as our top choice. Since it excels in almost all areas, owning it is worthwhile despite its price point.
10000 Pound Winch Buying Guide
I found a lot of people facing difficulties while purchasing their 10000 lbs winch. People often get confused about which one to purchase. This is very likely to happen because of the availability of the winch in the market. Purchasing a 10000 lbs winch will be like a piece of cake if you follow some basic criteria.
Here, I will discuss all the essential things of a 10000 lbs winch you need to take into account while making a purchase. So, before going to make a purchase, give my guide a quick check. You will find it useful.
Let’s Discuss Your Needs First
There is no meaning of getting a winch if you can’t get it with you when you are in a need. So, before going to make a purchase, you should find out how you will be using your winch. You know that all of the winches are not convenient for all types of use.
- Will you be using this winch on your weekend?
- Will you be competing in a rock race?
- Are you planning about driving on a dirt road to Patagonia for over a year?
- Will you use the winch occasionally let’s say once a month around your farm?
Well, if you think that you need to have a farm winch, you will not have to think about fancy controls or waterproof features as you will not be trekking through the jungle. However, you have to think about other features. They are:
- The capacity of pulling per layer
- waterproof feature
- Amp draw
- Wireless vs wired remote
- solenoids vs contactors
- synthetic rope vs steel cable
Before moving to these features, there are some other factors such as your rig and the behavior of a 10000 lb winch that you need to pay heed to. let’s give them a quick check.
Will a 10000 lbs winch fit in my bumper?
Well, you will not have to worry about this. Fortunately, your 10000 lbs winch will fit in your bumper. This is because all the winch bumper producers maintain the measurements while designing the bumper. Usually, all the winch holds a 10″X4.5″ mountain pattern. Here 10″X4.5″ states that 10″ is the feet bolts side to side and on center, front to back 4.5″.
Are 10000 lbs winch the right size winch?
Well, let’s talk about the winch size first. Because there is no meaning of getting a winch if it can not satisfy your job. So, make sure whether 10000 lbs winch will do your job or not. Usually, it is said that you need to bring a winch that has a 1.5 times higher pulling capacity than the GVWR of your vehicle.
You may get confused about what is GVWR. Well, GVWR stands for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and you will find all the relevant information on your rig with the VIN information.
Let me make it clear. Assume that your vehicle’s gross weight is 10000 lbs, then you should bring a winch that has 15000 lbs pulling capacity. As we are talking about 10000 lbs winch here, to get the maximum result, your vehicle’s weight should be lower than 6700 lbs.
However, if you have an expedition-outfitted and 3 weeks-loaded backcountry crew that exceeds the gross weight or GVWR, you will need a heavy winch then. Again, a light winch should be fine if you have a bobbed, stripped down and flatbed dodge ram pickup.
Foot down vs Foot forward Bumper
I guess you know that there are two orientations possible for mounting a winch. There are some winches that only can be mounted foot-down or foot-forward. Again, some winches follow both foot-forward or foot-down orientations. You may find a few winches when you have both options foot-forward and foot-down options for mounting winch.
Usually, the winches are mounted on your bumpers in two ways either in a horizontal or vertical mounting plate. Here, you should know about it what is vertical foot-forward and what is horizontal foot-down.
Another important thing you need to take into consideration while purchasing a winch is that the winch you are purchasing follows the same mounting orientation as your bumper. If you don’t follow it, then there is a possibility of breaking your winch casing. However, it is good news that almost all the winches have the option to mount following foot-down or foot-forward orientation.
Winch physical interference
There are some bumpers in the market that holds the winch tightly against the grille and bumper. It can be a concern that depends on your winch casing design. As a consequence:
- The control box may not seem fit.
- The motor terminals may become in touch with the bumper or body.
- The clutch handle can come in contact with the body or bumper.
You will not have to think a lot about it as you will be able to solve this problem. Most winches hold the feature of “clocked”. It means that the gear housing or motor housing has the ability to rotate in relation to the winch feet. In this case, you should know the procedure of clocking the winch motor. It’s an easy procedure, to be honest.
At first, unbolt it, then rotate and re-bolt at last. After the clicking procedure of a winch motor or gearbox, you will receive a tight gearbox and experience of motor terminal handling.
You are not supposed to face the control pack problems regularly. You will be able to mount your control box in the least two positions from the producers. However, in an exceptional case, you will be able to extend the control box cable and mount the box anywhere such as on the bumper or on the compartment of your vehicle.
Synthetic rope or steel cable for 10000 lbs Winch?
I guess you know that there are two types of cable available. The synthetic rope and steel cable. You should decide which one you would like to see with your 10000 lbs winch.
Basically, the steel cable is heavy-weight and used for heavy-duty. This type of cable does not need much maintenance and you need to be careful while dealing with steel cable. Otherwise, it may become dangerous.
On the other hand, synthetic rope is lightweight. This type of winch cable also has a good pulling capacity. Using the synthetic rope is easy and you will have to provide proper maintenance.
Wired or Wireless Remote for 10000 lbs Winch?
Well, here wired and wireless means the wire of your winch remote. You may find both options along with your 10000 lbs winch. You need to decide which one you will pick.
The newest or updated one is the wireless remote control. You will have an excellent winching experience with this equipment. While using a wireless remote winch, you will not have to plug the winch remote. Apart from this issue, you will not experience snagging problems with the wire. Without it, you will be able to operate your winch from a safe distance. So, you will get everything you want.
On the other hand, the wired remote is the primitive one. If you purchase a winch that comes with a wired remote, you will get a remote along with a 12-foot cable so that you can operate your winch from the driving seat. In this case, you will have to plug in the remote first. Besides, you may face snagging problems. In addition, the remote pin can be corroded if you don’t keep the plug lubed on its control box.
The IP rating of a winch is a measure of the protection that the winch offers against the ingress of dust and water. The ratings are expressed as two numbers, with the first number representing the protection against dust and the second number representing the protection against water.
No rating (IP): means that no special protection has been provided and so ingress of both dust and water will be possible.
IP67 rating: means the enclosure is dust tight and can withstand immersion in water up to 1m depth for 30 minutes.
IP68 rating: means the enclosure is dust tight and can withstand immersion in water over 1m depth for 30 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What capacity can a 10000 lb winch deal with?
Your 10000 lbs winch can handle a vehicle without any problem that has 6700 lbs weight. It is not recommended to use your 10000 winches for a heavy-weight vehicle. You should follow the 1.5 times rule always.
Wireless or wired remote? Which one will be a good combination with my 10000 lb winch?
I will recommend picking a wireless remote instead of a wired remote for your 10000 lbs winch.
Can I use a 10000 lb winch for my SUV/AUV or truck?
Yes, you can use a 10000 lbs winch for your SUV/AUV or truck.
Steel cable or synthetic rope? Which one will be a good combination for my 10000 lb winch?
As per the user experience, synthetic rope is much more convenient to use.