Last Updated on June 1, 2022
To get the best hitch for Subaru Crosstrek, no doubt, you need to see if it fits the vehicle perfectly or not. The hitch should have the following characteristics too –
- It’s capable enough to handle a satisfactory amount of trailer load.
- Made from quality material.
- UV ray protected, rust-free.
- Cost-effective, etc.
Considering those crucial facts, I’ve cherry-picked some of the top-notch hitches for Subaru Crosstrek and put together their highs and lows in this write-up.
So, let’s jump right in!
It is noteworthy to mention that regardless of the hitch’s weight capacity, you should consider the amount of load your Subaru Croesstrek can handle (up to 1500 lbs). Otherwise, you are going to trade off the engine, brake, handling, suspension, transmission, and all these.
Table of Contents
Best Trailer Hitch for Subaru Crosstrek
1. CURT 13382 Hitch for Subaru Crosstrek
- A straightforward installation process for most users.
- It’s quite a versatile hitch that is usable for several handy purposes.
- The purchase includes all the necessary hardware for the installation process.
- This hitch excels in handling a good amount of trailer weight and tongue weight.
- It’s quite well built having a nice aesthetic too.
- Well protected from UV rays, corrosion, and chipping.
- The price is quite acceptable.
- You might need help from another guy if you are not too expert in installing a hitch.
- The company should focus on improving its customer service.
CURT 13382 hitch is one of the favorite trailer hitches among the Subaru Crosstrek users. Its 2″ receiver tube is quite efficient for a bike rack, Wheeless trailer, ball mount, cargo carrier, tow hook, and several other options.
“Class III” hitch is something you that suits most in your Subaru Crosstrek, and this CURT hitch model is a Class III hitch.
It supports all the Subaru Crosstrek models from 2018 to 2022, excluding Hybrid.
This hitch can handle 3500 lbs trailer weight and 525 lbs tongue weight. To protect it from rusting and chipping effects, it has been made with Bonderite liquid that particularly helps it protect from rusting. It also has a durable black coat finish to make it even more sheltered from UV rays.
As this one is a class III hitch and a perfect fit for Subaru Crosstrek, you don’t have to do anything fancy to install it in your vehicle. You will have some predrill holes in the Subaru Crosstrek to get the job done quickly.
Overall, this particular CURT hitch is well worth the money regarding usability and durability.
2. CURT 12184 Trailer Hitch
- Pretty easy installation process.
- It fits almost all the recent Subaru Crosstrek models (2018-2022, excluding the Hybrid).
- This hitch boasts an open-back receiver for easy cleaning and preventing dirt and debris from building up into the receiver.
- The gloss black powder coat finish and the liquid A-coat help to keep it protected from UV-ray, rusting, and chipping.
- A sturdy hitch that is accurately welded and well-engineered.
- The price could have been better.
- Installation may require enlarging the holes.
CURT 12184 is a class II trailer hitch having a 1-1/4″ receiver and all Subaru Crosstrek models from 2018 to 2022 (as of this writing), excluding Hybrid.
This very hitch is rated to 3500 lbs trailer weight and about 350 lbs tongue weight. It clearly shows it can handle from light-duty jobs to medium-duty towing jobs, at least more than what Crosstrek users expect.
You can use it for carrying hitch-mounted bike racks, cargo carriers, towing boat trailers, small/lightweight utility trailers, pop-up campers, etc.
Yes, the price is slightly on the higher side, but this hitch’s overall quality and performance definitely make it worth checking out.
3. CURT 11286 Trailer Hitch
- It comes with a handy instruction manual.
- If you follow the instructions correctly, installing this hitch is a breeze.
- This hitch is sturdy enough to carry the load.
- It’s a quality-built hitch, very well welded, and expertly engineered.
- A safety chain loop comes with this unit that is integrated with the design. Hence, helps to connect immediately with the trailer hitch receiver.
- Well protected from UV rays, rusting, and chipping.
- It features an open-back receiver. Eventually, you will face less trouble in cleaning the receiver. It prevents building up dirt and debris too.
- Reasonable price.
- This one is a class I hitch; it’s only ideal for the light-duty towing purpose.
- Some users found one of the ears of this hitch a bit bent and had to straighten up about 38″ ear to ear.
This particular trailer hitch is another quality production from the reputed CURT brand. However, this is not a class III hitch like the previous one.
This one is a class I hitch having a 1-1/4″ receiver. It’s a 2000 lbs trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight rated hitch. So, you should expect it to tow vehicles like lightweight utility trailers, bike racks, mounting a cargo carrier, etc. This means it’s ideal for light to medium-duty jobs.
It fits best for 2013, 2014, and 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek of all styles.
The installation of this hitch is quite effortless to manage. However, using a heavy-duty quality ratchet is necessary to get the job done perfectly. Do you require an extra pair of hands for the installation purpose? Well, taking help from someone might come in handy, but it’s not a must if you have some prior experience.
All in all, this is another cost-effective trailer hitch by CURT for Subaru Crosstrek and some other models like Impreza that performs well without breaking your bank.
4. Draw-Tite 76209 Max-Frame Hitch
- This hitch is sturdy and welded quite well.
- A relatively easy installation process that you can achieve without removing the exhaust. You may have to lower the exhaust, though.
- It can handle heavy-duty towing jobs as it’s rated quite high in terms of trailer weight and tongue weight.
- An easy-to-understand instruction manual comes with the purchase.
- Fits a wide range of Subaru Crosstrek models.
- Aesthetically pleasing.
- It’s quite easy on the wallet.
- Better ground clearance was expected.
- You might want to change the bolts to get some heavier bolts.
Draw-Tite is another famous brand in producing quality trailer hitches at an affordable price. This particular 76209 hitch is no exception. It’s another class III quality trailer hitch having a 2″ receiver capable of handling heavy-duty jobs. No doubt, it’s a good fit for Subaru Crosstrek.
As it has rated for 4500 lbs trailer weight and up to 675 lbs tongue weight, you can use it to carry a bike rack and, of course, to tow a trailer.
It fits from Subaru Crosstrek (2018) to Subaru Crosstrek (2022) (as of this writing).
Although the installation is not an uphill task, you should watch some YouTube videos and read the instruction book thoroughly before getting your hands dirty. This hitch weighs about 35 lbs. That means taking help from one of your friends would come in handy in the process without any doubt. The good thing is you don’t have to file or enlarge any factory holes, nor have to drill or grind.
5. Draw-Tite 76084 Roud Tube Hitch
- Sturdy construction.
- Not too hard to install.
- It can handle a substantial amount of trailer weight and tongue weight to get some heavy-duty jobs done pretty well.
- The black powder coating helps prevent scratches, peels, cracks, etc.
- Well built with quality material.
- No need to cut or remove the exhaust for the installation purpose.
- It doesn’t fit well from the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek model onwards.
- The price is slightly higher than the other options I’ve listed here.
- Some users didn’t get the hardware required to install this hitch.
Draw-Tite 76084 is another handy class III hitch for some of the Subaru Crosstrek models. I said ‘some of the’ because several Subaru Crosstrek 2018 and onwards users have found this hitch doesn’t fit well. That’s why I recommend using this trailer hitch only for the models earlier than the 2018 Crosstrek. It best fits for 2016 and 2017 Crosstrek models.
It has a trailer weight rating of 3500 lbs and a tongue weight rating of 525 lbs which I believe makes it suitable for use with some heavy vehicles besides Subaru Crosstrek. It has a 2-inch receiver as well, like the other class III hitches I’ve listed here.
Considering the high price and limited Croesstrek model support, I think I’ve mentioned more cost-effective options above than this particular hitch.
How to Buy the Right Trailer Hitch for Subaru Crosstrek – Buying Guide
Well, buying the perfect hitch for Subaru Crosstrek is not brain surgery. With that said, reading a review write-up like this always helps decide the best bet. Nonetheless, to make the most out of this review guide, knowing the following buying factors is vital to some extent, in my opinion.
Before considering any other buying factors, see if that particular hitch is the best fit for your Subaru Crosstrek or not. Yes, I listed all the Crosstrek-supported hitches, but each of them is not the best deal for every model released there. I mentioned which hitch is the best fit for which year and model. In some cases, you might need to enlarge the holes, which is a common scenario for most of the hitches.
Hitch Class and Weight Rating
Class III is said to be the best bet for Subaru Crosstrek. However, going for Class I and Class II won’t hurt either. Hitch manufacturers make different hitches varying in their class number. They mainly vary in trailer weight capacity and tongue weight capacity.
The hitch needs to be sturdy enough and made with quality materials to ensure its longevity and performance. It must be protected from UV rays and less prone to rusting and chipping. All the trailer hitches I listed above are sturdy enough to get the job done for long and feature the required black powder coating and other technologies to make them rusting and chipping protected.
Ease of Installation
The particular hitch must be easy to install by one person. However, taking help from another person is always recommended to do the installation smoothly as the hitches tend to weigh about 35-40 lbs.
If you are not sure about the installation process even after watching YouTube videos and reading the instruction manual, you should hire a professional to get the job done.
What is the highest towing capacity of Subaru Crosstrek?
Subaru Crosstrek can tow up to 1500 lbs of weight. That is the reason why a class I hitch is also suitable for Subaru Crosstrek.
Can a Subaru Crosstrek tow a trailer?
Yes, a Subaru Crosstrek can tow a trailer only if the trailer’s gross weight is less than or equal to 1500 lbs.
Can you put a trailer hitch on a Subaru Crosstrek?
Yes, you can put a trailer hitch on a Subaru Crosstrek. However, you have to use the perfect hitch depending on the year and model of the Crosstrek.
Here, I listed some trailer hitches having different towing capacities from two popular brands in the hitch industry. All of them are custom Crosstrek trailer hitches. Out of those two brands (CURT and Draw-Tite), I vote for CURT hitches because of their quality, fit, price, and customer support. While Draw-Tite and CURT both lack standing behind their customers, CURT’s customer support is ahead of Draw-Tite’s support.
If you want to use Crosstrek’s highest towing capacity, the CURT 13382 steals the show, particularly if you are a Subaru Crosstrek (2018-2022) user. It’s a class III hitch with a 2″ receiver and offers all the basics and essentials for towing.
On the other hand, if you are finding something for light-duty jobs, then the CURT 12184 (Class II) and the CURT 11286 (Class I) are the ones you should get your eye in.