Last Updated on September 30, 2022
Knowing the hitch’s actual weight capacity aka tongue weight is essential to buy one for 5th wheeling. A large number of drivers get confused over this matter.
So, how much does a fifth wheel hitch weigh? Trying the calculation can show the result based on the hitch type for 5th wheelers. In most cases, the average weight of a hitch is 2.4k – 9k lbs.
Although the calculation formula is easy to try, still some might be waiting for the details. If you are one of those, keep on reading till the end!
Table of Contents
How Much Does A Fifth Wheel Hitch Weigh?
The hitch weight aka tongue weight capacity for the 5th wheel varies in weight based on brand and class. Look beneath to get the details.
You’ll mostly see 5 hitch classes that show tongue weight depending on the truck’s size. Among all, the Class V hitch suits the 5th wheel type of vehicle to show the weight capacity of the hitch. Look into the table to know the details.
|Class||Gross Trailer Weight (5th Wheel)||Hitch Weight Capacity|
|Class V (5)||16,000 lbs||2,400 – 4,800 lbs|
|Class V (5)||18,000 lbs||2,700 – 5,400 lbs|
|Class V (5)||20,000 lbs||3,000 – 6,000 lbs|
Just like the variety of classes, the hitch can vary in the brand. Each one offers a hitch that has a specific tongue weight capacity that doesn’t match with another.
How Much Does A Curt Fifth Wheel Hitch Weight?
Being a famous brand, the CURT hitch for the 5th wheel contains 16,000 – 30,000 lbs of GTW. To find the tongue weight or hitch weight, you need to multiply the GTW by 15% or 30%.
- If your GTW is 16k, then 16,000 x 15% or 30% = 2,400 to 4,800 lbs
- If your GTW is 20k, then 20,000 x 15% or 30% = 3,000 to 6,000 lbs
- If your GTW is 24k, then 24,000 x 15% or 30% = 3,600 to 7,200 lbs
- If your GTW is 25k, then 25,000 x 15% or 30% = 3,750 to 7,500 lbs
- If your GTW is 30k, then 30,000 x 15% or 30% = 4,500 to 9,000 lbs
How Much Does A B&W Fifth Wheel Hitch Weight?
The B&W is another well-respective band that offers quality fifth wheel hitch in 3 types. It includes standard, slider, and flatbed types.
- Standard – 5,000 lbs
- Slider – 5,000 lbs
- Flatbed – 5,500 lbs
Note: To know the weight of the 5th wheel hitch precision, just subtract tow vehicle weight when linked to trailer from the tow vehicle’s weight and compare with tongue weight. Both should match!
How To Calculate Fifth Wheel Hitch Weigh?
Measuring the hitch weight on bulky trailers like the 5th wheel is a little complex. You can calculate in 2 ways either using a tongue weight scale or a bathroom scale.
Using Tongue Weight Scale
- Place your truck with the trailer in a hard-level place.
- Insert the scale (tongue weight) below the tongue jack.
- Lift down the jack. Don’t stop until it is pushing on the scale.
- Wait for a while.
- Remove the trailer from the truck and check the scale to know the tongue weight.
Using Bathroom Scale
- Take a pipe and place it on the bathroom scale.
- Put the brick on the other side.
- Adjust the bathroom scale and brick 36” apart.
- Place the 2×4 around the pipes.
- Put the tongue on the 2×4 at ideal height (by covering the scale and brick).
- Insert the 2×4 in the tongue which sits 24” apart from the scale. Ensure it is 12” far away from the brick.
- Look at the bathroom scale to find the number.
- Multiply the written weight of the bathroom scale by 3 to find the hitch weight. (If you see 550 lbs, then multiply 3 to find the hitch weight of 1,650 lbs.)
Before you grab a new hitch, it’s better to know how much does a fifth wheel hitch weigh and its compatibility through calculation.
We try to show all the details related to brands that offer hitches for big trailers like the 5th wheel. Plus, you’ll find a hitch class that shows tongue weight and 2 methods to measure hitch weight.
Hope you like this guide to get the desired info and find it handy to try on decision-making procedure. Thank You For Reading!