A winch has a long reputation for hauling, lifting or hoisting any kind of tool. If you have a winch installed on your vehicle, you will find it very useful in critical situations. You will be able to use the winch for recovering your vehicle. However, there are other models of winches that you can use for your utility work such as for sailing.
A cable winch pull is a type of winch that you can use for hauling or securing your load. This type of winch does not weigh much and you can take them easily with you. Apart from that, attaching and detaching the cable winch pull is simple and hassle-free.
However, despite the popularity and effectiveness of this winch-type, a lot of people still dont know how to use a winch cable pull.
Here, I will be discussing how you can use a cable winch pull and the instructions you need to follow while using the winch.
Table of Contents
Safety Instructions To Follow While Dealing With Cable Winch Puller
Before starting your winch cable pull, you should know some safety precautions to avoid unexpected injuries. It will also help you to have a smooth winching experience.
- Going through the safety manual: Always read the safety precautions that come with your winch and other tools first. You will find a lot of useful information there.
- Cleaning your working space: Make sure that your working area is clear, There should not be obstacles. It will make you comfortable while operating your winch.
- Maintaining your balance: Always be careful about maintaining your balance. You should not overextend yourself.
- Clothing instructions: It is better to wear tight clothes. If your wear loose cloth, the cloth may get tangled while using your winch.
- Maintaining your winch: Always keep your winch in good condition. Make sure that you are cleaning it after each and every use.
How To Use A Cable Winch Puller
Disengaging the main ratchet drive
In the very first step, your task is disengaging the main ratchet drive. In order to do that, you need to find out the drive pawl spring first. You are supposed to find it on the lever handle. Then pull it to the up position completely. You will find your ratchet drive is disengaged now.
Attaching the load hook
After that, you need to attach the load hook to your load. For this, you have to pull and squeeze your pawl to stop the trigger. Once you will do it, you will be able to spool the cable freely. Then, take this cable to your anchor point. Now release the stop pawl trigger slowly and make sure that it is connected with the ratchet sprocket cam.
Connecting the anchor hook
Once you are done with connecting your load hook, now you need to connect your anchor hook. The anchor point is the position from where you will process pulling. So, simply connect your anchor hook to your anchoring position.
Engaging the ratchet drive
Now, your task is engaging the ratchet drive. For this, you need to push downwards the drive pawl spring. As a result, you will find the main ratchet drive is engaged.
Make the lever swing back
Then for letting the load moving to its accurate place, you need to swing the lever. For this, you have to move the lever onwards and backward till you find the lever in its position.
Securing the load
Once you find the load has reached its perfect position, you need to firmly attach it. in order to do that, you need to fix it in its place so that it can’t make any movement while using your cable winch puller.
Loosening the cable
For loosening the cable, you need to disengage the main ratchet drive first. So, push the drive pawl spring upwards till its lock position. That’s it.
Raising the lever handle
In this step, your task is to raise the lever handle. For this, you need to swing the lever once again. However, there is a slight difference. This time you need to swing the lever completely above the anchor hook side.
Once you will do this, you will find the stop pawl pin is activated. As a result, it will pull the lever handle up and the tension of your cable will release slowly.
Releasing the stop pawl trigger
If you release the cable tension, you will find the disengaging stop pawl trigger handy. Basically, you will find it in the cam. Swinging the lever continuously will allow to release it from the cam gradually. Thus, you will find the cable loosen.
Rewinding the winch cable
In the last step, you just need to rewind your winch cable to its drum. Here, you may face a tangling problem. For avoiding this issue, you need to keep your load hook attached to the load and push the drive pawl spring downwards.
Then, hold the anchor and at the same time pull the load. Also, swing the lever handle continuously and thus you will be able to rewind your winch cable easily.
Some Do’s And Dont’s You Need To Follow While Using Your Winch Cable Puller
- Never use your winch if you find any of its parts are damaged or broken.
- Never try to cross the highest weight capacity of your winch.
- You should not pull or haul objects by wrapping your winch cable around an object and hooking the object to your winch cable.
- You should not continue operating your winch if you have less than five wraps of cable in the winch drum.
- Don’t forget to keep the tension off your winch cable while winding or releasing the cable.
- Always give your winch a quick check after using it.