Last Updated on March 10, 2022
The winches have a long reputation for making your lifting or hauling job easy. Whenever you need to haul or lift a heavy load, you can use your winch to do the task without any hassle. It’s not a big deal. You don’t need to pay a lot for this.
There are a couple of winch types that you can use to accomplish your task. A come-along winch is one of them.
Basically, the come-along winch is a hand-operated winch with a ratchet that is used for pulling or lifting objects. There are rope remains wrapped around the winch drum which actually will help you to lift.
In order to have a smooth hauling or lifting task, you badly need to have a come-along winch. This is not the end. You also need to know how to use a come-along winch.
In this guide, I will be talking about the detailed steps following which you can use your come-along winch. I will give you some safety tips as well.
Table of Contents
You need to follow some instructions for your safety while using the come-along winch. Before getting started with using your winch, don’t forget to give them a quick check. It will help you to have a good experience of winching.
- Give the manual a quick check: You will find an instruction manual that comes with your come-along winch containing all the necessary instructions there. You will be advised about what you need to avoid there.
- Maintaining the winch: Dont forget to provide proper maintenance to your winch. So, clean your winch after using it. It will help to enhance the durability of your winch.
- Clearing your working space: Clearing your working space is also an important issue. Before getting started with operating your winch, you need to clear the space so that nothing can disturb you.
- Maintain proper clothes: While operating your winch, you should not wear clothes that are loose. The loose clothes can be tangled while using the winch. Better use tight clothes.
- Pay heed to your balance: Your balance is always an important thing. While using your winch, you should never overextend yourself. Be careful.
How to Use a Come Along Winch
Step-1: Detaching main ratchet drive
Your first and foremost step towards using your come-along winch should be detaching your ratchet drive. For this, you will have to find the pawl spring at first. You will find it on the handle of your lever. You just need to pull it up. That’s it.
Step-2: Attaching your load hook
In the second step, you need to connect your load hook now. At first, you need to pull and then squeeze the pawl to make the trigger stop. By doing so, the cable will be ready to spool freely.
Once the cable is ready, hold it and walk towards your anchoring point. Then gently release your stop pawl trigger. While doing this, you need to ensure that the trigger is attached to the ratchet sprocket cam.
Step-3: Hooking the anchor
You need to hook the anchor now. Here you just need to connect the hook with the anchoring position. I guess you know what is the anchoring position.
Step-4: Engaging your ratchet drive
In this step, you have to engage your ratchet drive. In order to do that, push the drive pawl spring downwards.
Step-5: Making the lever swing back
You need to get the lever swing back to let the load is moving in its correct position. For this, move your lever following onwards and backward. You should continue doing this until you don’t find it in its position.
Step-6: Secure your load
If you see the load is in its position, now you have to attach it firmly. For this, you fix it into its position so that it can not move when while releasing tension on the winch cable.
Step-7: Make the cable loosen
In order to loosen your winch cable, you have to get your ratchet drive disengaged. For this, you have to push your drive pawl spring above until you don’t find it in its locking position.
Step-8: Raising up the lever handle
Now, you have to once again swing the lever. Make sure that you are swinging the lever above your anchor hook side.
After that, the stop pawl pin will be activated. Therefore, you will find your lever handle in the upper position and the cable tension will slowly release.
Step-9: Releasing your stop pawl trigger
After releasing the cable tension, detaching the stop pawl trigger will become handy. You are supposed to find it in the cam. If you continuously swing the lever, you will find the cable is releasing gradually from the cam. This will allow you to get the cable to loosen.
Step-10: Rewinding your winch cable
Now, you have to rewind the cable. While rewinding the cable, you may face cable tangling problems. In order to avoid this problem, keep the load hook connected to your load and also push downwards the drive pawl spring.
After that, you need to hold and pull the load. You should do this at the same time. You should also continuously swing the lever handle. Thus, the cable rewinding process will be much easier.
Do’s and Dont’s You Should Follow
- After using your winch, always give it a quick check.
- Always be limited on your winch weight capacity. You should never exceed it.
- Make sure that there are at least five wraps of winch cable in your winch drum.
- Never try to use your winch if there are any broken or damaged winch parts.
- While releasing or winding the winch cable, never forget to maintain the tension of the cable.